lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] Why doesn't udp_recv callback contain the received neti

From: Dirk Ziegelmeier
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] Why doesn't udp_recv callback contain the received netif?
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2019 08:26:56 +0200

Simply call ip_current_netif() to get it

Ciao
Dirk

On Tue, Jun 25, 2019 at 5:11 AM Wayne Uroda <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi,

Please forgive me if this is a stupid question.

I am writing a DHCP server and using udp_recv functionality to handle incoming broadcast messages on a udp pcb.
I have enabled the BROADCAST flag on the PCB and I can receive the incoming packets just fine. The udp pcb is bound to ip_addr_any.

When it comes time to respond to the DHCP discover message, I must use udp_sendto_if function. Without specifying the interface, any send fails with a routing error because all addresses associated with this first message are either 0.0.0.0 or 255.255.255.255 (the only genuine address available is the source hardware address, which is useless for determining the associated netif).

Here is where I am confused. In order to call udp_sendto_if, I need to know the netif. If I look at the udp_input function, the netif is available there and could easily be passed as a simple parameter to the recv callback function.

Any time I get the urge to modify lwip itself my first thought is, I must be missing something simple, or doing something wrong. I assume there is some foundational piece of information I am missing?
If not, should we add the netif as a parameter to the udp recv callback?

Thanks
- Wayne