lwip-users

[lwip-users] why is my stack usage so high for the tx thread hosted by l

From: Bas Prins
Subject: [lwip-users] why is my stack usage so high for the tx thread hosted by lwip?
Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2022 17:04:32 +0200

Hi,
Hope somebody can help me on my way here. For a long time, I accepted the fact that I need to reserve a rather large chunk of memory to keep my tx thread running.

I attempted to figure out which part of lwip is claiming so much memory on the stack by exposing the free rtos high water mark function to lwip, and then start putting the get high water mark function on many places in the lwip code. The most counter productive approach.

It's hard to get through for me. So I was hoping somebody can explain a bit by just looking at the lwip opts file. This is what I use at the moment:

/*
* Copyright (c) 2001-2003 Swedish Institute of Computer Science.
* All rights reserved.
*
* Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without modification,
* are permitted provided that the following conditions are met:
*
* 1. Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright notice,
* this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.
* 2. Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright notice,
* this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the documentation
* and/or other materials provided with the distribution.
* 3. The name of the author may not be used to endorse or promote products
* derived from this software without specific prior written permission.
*
* THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE AUTHOR ``AS IS'' AND ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED
* WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF
* MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT
* SHALL THE AUTHOR BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL,
* EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT
* OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS
* INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN
* CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING
* IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY
* OF SUCH DAMAGE.
*
* This file is part of the lwIP TCP/IP stack.
*
* Author: Adam Dunkels <adam@sics.se>
*
*/
#ifndef LWIP_LWIPOPTS_H
#define LWIP_LWIPOPTS_H

#include <stdint.h>

#ifdef LWIP_OPTTEST_FILE
#else /* LWIP_OPTTEST_FILE */

#define LWIP_IPV4 1
#define LWIP_IPV6 0

#define NO_SYS 0
#define LWIP_SOCKET (NO_SYS==0)
#define LWIP_NETCONN (NO_SYS==0)
#define LWIP_NETIF_API (NO_SYS==0)

#define LWIP_IGMP 0
#define LWIP_ICMP 0

#define LWIP_HAVE_LOOPIF 0
#define LWIP_NETIF_LOOPBACK 0
#define LWIP_LOOPBACK_MAX_PBUFS 0

#define TCP_LISTEN_BACKLOG 1

#define TCPIP_MBOX_SIZE 4
#define TCPIP_THREAD_STACKSIZE 3048 // tx thread
#define DEFAULT_THREAD_STACKSIZE 400 // rx thread
#define DEFAULT_TCP_RECVMBOX_SIZE 10

#define LWIP_COMPAT_SOCKETS 1
#define LWIP_SO_RCVTIMEO 1
#define LWIP_SO_RCVBUF 1

#define LWIP_FREERTOS_CHECK_CORE_LOCKING 1
#define LWIP_TCPIP_CORE_LOCKING 1

#define LWIP_NETIF_LINK_CALLBACK 1
#define LWIP_NETIF_STATUS_CALLBACK 1
#define LWIP_NETIF_EXT_STATUS_CALLBACK 1

#define TCPIP_THREAD_PRIO 8
#define RX_THREAD_PRIO 10

// Uncomment next line if more lwip logging is needed
// #define LWIP_DEBUG

#ifdef LWIP_DEBUG

#define LWIP_DBG_MIN_LEVEL 0
#define PPP_DEBUG LWIP_DBG_OFF
#define MEM_DEBUG LWIP_DBG_OFF
#define MEMP_DEBUG LWIP_DBG_OFF
#define PBUF_DEBUG LWIP_DBG_OFF
#define API_LIB_DEBUG LWIP_DBG_OFF
#define API_MSG_DEBUG LWIP_DBG_OFF
#define TCPIP_DEBUG LWIP_DBG_OFF
#define NETIF_DEBUG LWIP_DBG_OFF
#define SOCKETS_DEBUG LWIP_DBG_OFF
#define DNS_DEBUG LWIP_DBG_OFF
#define HTTPC_DEBUG LWIP_DBG_ON
#define AUTOIP_DEBUG LWIP_DBG_OFF
#define DHCP_DEBUG LWIP_DBG_OFF
#define IP_DEBUG LWIP_DBG_OFF
#define IP_REASS_DEBUG LWIP_DBG_OFF
#define ICMP_DEBUG LWIP_DBG_OFF
#define IGMP_DEBUG LWIP_DBG_OFF
#define UDP_DEBUG LWIP_DBG_OFF
#define TCP_DEBUG LWIP_DBG_OFF
#define TCP_INPUT_DEBUG LWIP_DBG_OFF
#define TCP_OUTPUT_DEBUG LWIP_DBG_OFF
#define TCP_RTO_DEBUG LWIP_DBG_OFF
#define TCP_CWND_DEBUG LWIP_DBG_OFF
#define TCP_WND_DEBUG LWIP_DBG_OFF
#define TCP_FR_DEBUG LWIP_DBG_OFF
#define TCP_QLEN_DEBUG LWIP_DBG_OFF
#define TCP_RST_DEBUG LWIP_DBG_OFF
#endif

#define LWIP_DBG_TYPES_ON (LWIP_DBG_ON|LWIP_DBG_TRACE|LWIP_DBG_STATE|LWIP_DBG_FRESH|LWIP_DBG_HALT)

/* ---------- Memory options ---------- */
/* MEM_ALIGNMENT: should be set to the alignment of the CPU for which
lwIP is compiled. 4 byte alignment -> define MEM_ALIGNMENT to 4, 2
byte alignment -> define MEM_ALIGNMENT to 2. */
/* MSVC port: intel processors don't need 4-byte alignment,
but are faster that way! */
#define MEM_ALIGNMENT 4U

#define MEMP_SANITY_CHECK 1

/**
* MEMP_OVERFLOW_CHECK: memp overflow protection reserves a configurable
* amount of bytes before and after each memp element in every pool and fills
* it with a prominent default value. MEMP_OVERFLOW_CHECK == 0 no
* checking MEMP_OVERFLOW_CHECK == 1 checks each element when it is
* freed MEMP_OVERFLOW_CHECK >= 2 checks each element in every pool
* every time memp_malloc() or memp_free() is called (useful but slow!)
*/
#define MEMP_OVERFLOW_CHECK 1

/* MEM_SIZE: the size of the heap memory. If the application will send
a lot of data that needs to be copied, this should be set high. */
#define MEM_SIZE (4*1024)

extern uint8_t lwip_heap[MEM_SIZE];

#define LWIP_RAM_HEAP_POINTER ((void*) &lwip_heap)

/* MEMP_NUM_PBUF: the number of memp struct pbufs. If the application
sends a lot of data out of ROM (or other static memory), this
should be set high. */
#define MEMP_NUM_PBUF 10
/* MEMP_NUM_RAW_PCB: the number of UDP protocol control blocks. One
per active RAW "connection". */
#define MEMP_NUM_RAW_PCB 0
/* MEMP_NUM_UDP_PCB: the number of UDP protocol control blocks. One
per active UDP "connection". */
#define MEMP_NUM_UDP_PCB 2
/* MEMP_NUM_TCP_PCB: the number of simulatenously active TCP
connections. */
#define MEMP_NUM_TCP_PCB 6
/* MEMP_NUM_TCP_PCB_LISTEN: the number of listening TCP
connections. */
#define MEMP_NUM_TCP_PCB_LISTEN 0
/* MEMP_NUM_TCP_SEG: the number of simultaneously queued TCP
segments. */
#define MEMP_NUM_TCP_SEG 16
/* MEMP_NUM_SYS_TIMEOUT: the number of simulateously active
timeouts. */
#define MEMP_NUM_SYS_TIMEOUT 17

/* The following four are used only with the sequential API and can be
set to 0 if the application only will use the raw API. */
/* MEMP_NUM_NETBUF: the number of struct netbufs. */
#define MEMP_NUM_NETBUF 8
/* MEMP_NUM_NETCONN: the number of struct netconns. */
#define MEMP_NUM_NETCONN 12
/* MEMP_NUM_TCPIP_MSG_*: the number of struct tcpip_msg, which is used
for sequential API communication and incoming packets. Used in
src/api/tcpip.c. */
#define MEMP_NUM_TCPIP_MSG_API 16
#define MEMP_NUM_TCPIP_MSG_INPKT 16

/** SYS_LIGHTWEIGHT_PROT
* define SYS_LIGHTWEIGHT_PROT in lwipopts.h if you want inter-task protection
* for certain critical regions during buffer allocation, deallocation and memory
* allocation and deallocation.
*/
#define SYS_LIGHTWEIGHT_PROT (NO_SYS==0)

#define ETH_PAD_SIZE 2

/* ---------- TCP options ---------- */
#define LWIP_TCP 1
#define TCP_TTL 255

#define LWIP_ALTCP (LWIP_TCP)
#ifdef LWIP_HAVE_MBEDTLS
#define LWIP_ALTCP_TLS (LWIP_TCP)
#define LWIP_ALTCP_TLS_MBEDTLS (LWIP_TCP)
#endif

/* Controls if TCP should queue segments that arrive out of
order. Define to 0 if your device is low on memory. */
#define TCP_QUEUE_OOSEQ 1

/* TCP Maximum segment size. */
#define TCP_MSS (1024 - 40) /* TCP_MSS = (Ethernet MTU - IP header size - TCP header size) */

/* TCP receive window. */
#define TCP_WND (4*TCP_MSS)

/* TCP sender buffer space (bytes). */
#define TCP_SND_BUF (2*TCP_MSS)

/* PBUF_POOL_SIZE: the number of buffers in the pbuf pool. */
#define PBUF_POOL_SIZE 10

/* PBUF_POOL_BUFSIZE: the size of each pbuf in the pbuf pool. */
#define PBUF_POOL_BUFSIZE (TCP_MSS + 40 + 40)

/* TCP sender buffer space (pbufs). This must be at least = 2 *
TCP_SND_BUF/TCP_MSS for things to work. */
#define TCP_SND_QUEUELEN (4* TCP_SND_BUF/TCP_MSS)

/* TCP writable space (bytes). This must be less than or equal
to TCP_SND_BUF. It is the amount of space which must be
available in the tcp snd_buf for select to return writable */
#define TCP_SNDLOWAT (TCP_SND_BUF/2)

/* Maximum number of retransmissions of data segments. */
#define TCP_MAXRTX 12

/* Maximum number of retransmissions of SYN segments. */
#define TCP_SYNMAXRTX 4

/* ---------- ARP options ---------- */
#define LWIP_ARP 1
#define ARP_TABLE_SIZE 10
#define ARP_QUEUEING 1

/* ---------- IP options ---------- */
/* Define IP_FORWARD to 1 if you wish to have the ability to forward
IP packets across network interfaces. If you are going to run lwIP
on a device with only one network interface, define this to 0. */
#define IP_FORWARD 0

/* IP reassembly and segmentation.These are orthogonal even
* if they both deal with IP fragments */
#define IP_REASSEMBLY 1
#define IP_REASS_MAX_PBUFS (10 * ((256 + PBUF_POOL_BUFSIZE - 1) / PBUF_POOL_BUFSIZE))
#define MEMP_NUM_REASSDATA IP_REASS_MAX_PBUFS
#define IP_FRAG 1
#define IPV6_FRAG_COPYHEADER 1

/* ---------- ICMP options ---------- */
#define ICMP_TTL 255

/* ---------- DHCP options ---------- */
/* Define LWIP_DHCP to 1 if you want DHCP configuration of
interfaces. */
#define LWIP_DHCP LWIP_UDP

/* 1 if you want to do an ARP check on the offered address
(recommended). */
#define DHCP_DOES_ARP_CHECK (LWIP_DHCP)

/* ---------- AUTOIP options ------- */
#define LWIP_AUTOIP (LWIP_DHCP)
#define LWIP_DHCP_AUTOIP_COOP (LWIP_DHCP && LWIP_AUTOIP)

/* ---------- UDP options ---------- */
#define LWIP_UDP 1
#define LWIP_UDPLITE LWIP_UDP
#define UDP_TTL 255

#ifdef LWIP_UDP
#define LWIP_SNMP LWIP_UDP

#define LWIP_DNS LWIP_UDP
#define LWIP_MDNS_RESPONDER LWIP_UDP

#define LWIP_NUM_NETIF_CLIENT_DATA (LWIP_MDNS_RESPONDER)
#endif

/* ---------- RAW options ---------- */
#define LWIP_RAW 0

/* ---------- Statistics options ---------- */

#define LWIP_STATS 0
#define LWIP_STATS_DISPLAY 0

#if LWIP_STATS
#define LINK_STATS 0
#define IP_STATS 0
#define ICMP_STATS 0
#define IGMP_STATS 0
#define IPFRAG_STATS 0
#define UDP_STATS 0
#define TCP_STATS 0
#define MEM_STATS 1
#define MEMP_STATS 1
#define PBUF_STATS 0
#define SYS_STATS 1
#endif /* LWIP_STATS */

/* ---------- NETBIOS options ---------- */
#define LWIP_NETBIOS_RESPOND_NAME_QUERY 0

/* ---------- PPP options ---------- */

#define PPP_SUPPORT 1 /* Set > 0 for PPP */

#if PPP_SUPPORT

#define PRINTPKT_SUPPORT 0
#define NUM_PPP 1 /* Max PPP sessions. */
#define PPP_NOTIFY_PHASE 1

/* Select modules to enable. Ideally these would be set in the makefile but
* we're limited by the command line length so you need to modify the settings
* in this file.
*/
#define PPPOE_SUPPORT 0
#define PPPOS_SUPPORT 1

#define PAP_SUPPORT 0 /* Set > 0 for PAP. */
#define CHAP_SUPPORT 0 /* Set > 0 for CHAP. */
#define MSCHAP_SUPPORT 0 /* Set > 0 for MSCHAP */
#define CBCP_SUPPORT 0 /* Set > 0 for CBCP (NOT FUNCTIONAL!) */
#define CCP_SUPPORT 0 /* Set > 0 for CCP */
#define VJ_SUPPORT 0 /* Set > 0 for VJ header compression. */
#define MD5_SUPPORT 0 /* Set > 0 for MD5 (see also CHAP) */

#endif /* PPP_SUPPORT */

#endif /* LWIP_OPTTEST_FILE */

/* The following defines must be done even in OPTTEST mode: */

#if !defined(NO_SYS) || !NO_SYS /* default is 0 */
void sys_check_core_locking(void);
void sys_mark_tcpip_thread(void);
void sys_lock_tcpip_core(void);
void sys_unlock_tcpip_core(void);

#define LWIP_ASSERT_CORE_LOCKED() sys_check_core_locking()
#define LWIP_MARK_TCPIP_THREAD() sys_mark_tcpip_thread()

#define LOCK_TCPIP_CORE() sys_lock_tcpip_core()
#define UNLOCK_TCPIP_CORE() sys_unlock_tcpip_core()
#endif

#endif /* LWIP_LWIPOPTS_H */

Many thanks for any help!

best regards, bas