Re: LYNX-DEV Various rants

From: Foteos Macrides
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Various rants
Date: Sun, 03 Nov 1996 14:59:18 -0500 (EST)

address@hidden (Drazen Kacar) wrote:
>[..]
>Foteos, how about dumping TAB tag? Tables will have to be implemented one of
>        these days and TAB makes it very hard to calculate cell width. I can't
>        think of two pass algorithm with TAB, but perhaps someone can?
>        ALIGN=CHAR (and CHAROFF) is hard enough, combined with TAB is... er...
>        a nightmare? :)

        I'm not keen to drop it.  If TABLEs are implemented seriously,
and TAB is a problem, it can be treated as excluded from TABLEs in SGML
comformat ways, so there's no need to drop it altogether, and many
people presently are using TAB in TABLEs to make them look good with
Lynx, since it's ignored by other, TABLE-capable browsers.  So it might
be just as well to ignore TAB when TABLE markup is processed fully as
intented, but keep recognizing and using it otherwise.

        You have an analogous problem with PRE and TABLEs, and highly
variable handling of them in combination across deployed browsers.

                                Fote