Re: LYNX-DEV SSLeay patch

From: Chad Simmons
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV SSLeay patch
Date: Sun, 3 Nov 1996 18:33:44 -0500 (EST)

On Sun, 3 Nov 1996, Foteos Macrides wrote:

> Chad Simmons <address@hidden> wrote:
> >All right it recompiles the www dir then goes to compile and link the lynx
> >executable and I get
> >../WWW/Library/unix/libwww.a(HTTCP.o): In function `HTDoConnect':
> >HTTCP.o(.text+0x5da): undefined reference to `socks_flag'
> >HTTCP.o(.text+0x5ee): undefined reference to `Rconnect'
> >HTTCP.o(.text+0x6be): undefined reference to `socks_flag'
> >HTTCP.o(.text+0x6dd): undefined reference to `Rselect'
> >../WWW/Library/unix/libwww.a(HTTCP.o): In function `HTDoRead':
> >HTTCP.o(.text+0x873): undefined reference to `socks_flag'
> >HTTCP.o(.text+0x88c): undefined reference to `Rselect'
> >Its under linux2.0.something
>
>       There are no mods of HTTCP.c for the SSLeay-based hooks.
> You must have included Tom's SOCKS patch, which is for HTTCP.c
> and something went wrong.  Tom's "all" patch includes that, and
> it's Makefile patch includes -DSOCKS since he uses a SOCKSified
> Lynx, but it should be commented out in the patch, and perhaps
> you are inadvertantly building a SOCKSified Lynx without system
> support for it.
Yeah it was the all patch, but I commented out
#SOCKSLIB= /usr/local/lib/libsocks.a
#SOCKSLIB= -lsocks
I thought that would disable it, but after you wrote me i found a
reference to sockes in SITE_DEFS I deleted it, and retryed make, but I got
the same error
>       The mods Tom intended for SOCKS are included in the
> new Composite update, though I don't block the connect()
> checks
> when the socks_flag isn't set, as Tom's current patch
> still does.  I also sent Tom the code I used when switching
> from the hooks for the RSA and Netscape SSL libraries to the
> SSLeay libraries in our code set here.  I don't know if Hiram
> or Tom will use what I sent them (since I'm on vacation and
> not in charge 8-).
>
>       Note also that I didn't include the fork-based DNS
> lookups in the Composite update I sent them, because IMHO
> it still needs work to be portable across all the flavors
> of Unix Lynx seeks to support, so it seemed better to leave
> it, for now, as a patch Tom still supports directly.
The DNSforking was the reason I got the all patch I wanted SSL and the
ability to abort nameserver lookups.
How can I get it to work now? Do I have to comment out some lines in
HTTCP.o or redownload the whole lynx2-6 file and copy HTTCP.o from it?
Thanks for your help,
Chad Simmons
Fidonet 1:142/550.4

;