Re: LYNX-DEV Lynx bug -- relative paths in FTP

From: Hrvoje Niksic
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Lynx bug -- relative paths in FTP
Date: 04 Nov 1996 19:13:22 +0100

Klaus Weide (address@hidden) wrote:
> On 4 Nov 1996, Hrvoje Niksic wrote:
> > Here is the exact quote from RFC1738:  [snipped - kw]
> That is a known (let's be neutral and say) property of Lynx and is
> documented; see your local lynx_help directory, or

Hmm, quite so.  But still...

> Maybe it is time for a change, but then you have to be prepared to argue
> why such a change would not negatively affect users who may be relying
> on the current (non-RFC-conforming) behavior (taking into account that
> there already is a way to specify what you want, see references above).
> And someone would have to volunteer to make all the necessary changes,
> in a consistent manner.

I think that it is much better that the few people who rely on such
incompatibilities (and I *do* mean few, because usernames with FTP are
not heavily used with bookmarks et al.) to switch to the new behaviour
than introducing the incompatibility as a must.

Actually, I write a program that can do FTP.  As a feature, it can
store the directory listing in the HTML form.  When I implemented the
RFC1738-compliaant behaviour for relative/absolute paths, I was quite
abashed to see that Lynx was non-compliant.  I'm afraid I cannot
afford to implement fixes for Lynx bugs (much the same Lynx emulates
Netscape bugs).

Speaking of Nescaffe, it handles the relative form correctly, but
fails on ftp://address@hidden/%2Fbin/.

--
Hrvoje Niksic <address@hidden> | Student at FER Zagreb, Croatia