Re: LYNX-DEV Bookmarks - a better idea (?)

From: Filip M Gieszczykiewicz
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Bookmarks - a better idea (?)
Date: Tue, 5 Nov 1996 18:49:34 -0600 (CST)

You (Walter Skorski) wrote:
> Yes, but a substantial part, because you're going from showing Page X
> to showing Page (-book) and back to showing Page X.  Plus, assuming my
> idea was implemented, you might need several redraws of half the
> screen or more, one for each level down the hierarchy you go.  I do
> see Filip's point, so...

Greetings. That's only half of it - the fact is that there are a
lot of curses systems that are too dumb to "intelligently" repaint
the screen - of even if they can, the terminal is too dumb.

> How's about for SINGLE_LINE_BOOKMARK_ADD mode (currently known as
> "Advanced" mode), we have the bookmarks file parsed into one of those
> circular buffers used by the line editor?  That way, you can arrow up
> or down the list, or, if you know which one you want, you can type it
> in - maybe by a number, maybe by the first few characters of the name.
> If the category you want has a submenu, you'd get a new set of
> choices, else it'd get saved right there; and if you wanted a new
> submenu item, you could enter the name of the new submenu right there,
> possibly prefixed with a "0" to avoid tripping up the matching
> function.  In fact, you could probably also redefing the action of the
> "v" key with a SINGLE_LINE_BOOKMARK_SELECT mode that would work
> similarly - but that might be overkill.

The problem here is that it's right on the border of my C "abilities".
I hate to say it but: feel free :-) I figure that work can continue on
"The" way of doing it - which Fote will eventally approve (hopefully) -
and I'll just keep on peddling my patches. Besides, it only took me a
few days to memmorize the frequent bookmarks - I almost never look at
the list... unless I want to put it in some category I can't remember.

I figure that for my uses, what is there is just right. Let me re-
state my objective: to be able to sort the bookmarks into more than a
dozen categories AT THE TIME when I'm saving them. A few 400KB
bookmark files made me realize this REAL QUICK :-|

Take care.
;
;