LYNX-DEV SSL - Use No Hooks

From: Tom Zerucha
Subject: LYNX-DEV SSL - Use No Hooks
Date: Fri, 8 Nov 1996 18:11:46 -0500 (EST)

I think I should explain what is going on.

I have been working on proxies that support SSL.  I now have a set that
uses the https_proxy in the NON-SSL lynx to add full capabilities
including basic certificate management and presentation of user
certificates.  Working with Fote, snews should be working too.

The program is a little shorter (currently 500 lines) than the patches
which don't support all the certificate handling. (yes, it can present
personal certificates, and does verify site certs, and all that neat stuff
the other browsers do).

The problem with this technology is that it works with a lot more than
lynx - I developed a generic daemon.  So it can add the same capabilities
to any server (so plain apache becomes SSL-apache, any news server
supports snews, lynx becomes lynx-ssl, and Netscape-crippled-40 becomes
Netscape-full-128-bit).  It can even create virtual private networks.

Since this is "free" software, I am doing what I can to find a way to
publish it without running afoul of ITAR, but don't have a lot of time,
and don't have any money to do this.

If someone in the US or Canada wants to see what the code does, And emails
a request stating that they are a citizen or permanent resident and will
not redistribute nor export the code, I would consider sending a copy for
evaluation.  PGP mail is preferred (with signature and location of your
key).

It is in late beta, but the lynx stuff appears to work, and I will be
updating it.

address@hidden
finger address@hidden for PGP key

;