Re: LYNX-DEV why not use shift-V to access multiple bookmarks list?

From: Al Gilman
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV why not use shift-V to access multiple bookmarks list?
Date: Fri, 8 Nov 1996 20:44:50 -0500 (EST)

  From: "Benjamin C. W. Sittler" <address@hidden>

  On Fri, 8 Nov 1996, Al Gilman wrote:

  >     - a page whacker.  this is a possible new project that requires
  >     a mix of blind and sighted, users and programmers.

  I have a perl renderer (which relies on sgmls) that might do this job in
  an acceptable manner, although it requires a valid HTML document to work
  right. It understands TABLEs, although it doesn't render them... currently
  it just displays a range of rows and columns covered by each cell. How
  would speech users like tables "rendered"? The perl script uses a fairly
  flexible "stylesheet" to determine rendering, and could be adapted to
  display arbitrary text before/after elements. Is there any real interest
  in such a tool?

One thing at a time.

        There is real pain the way things are, now.

        I have a notion of a tool that I think would make things
        enough better so that people would use it.  That's conjecture
        at this time.  [how to handle tables is definitely an
        iterative search research topic...]

        A production tool would want to be more tolerant of
        tag soup than SGMLS is, I suspect.

        BUT, your tool could be just what we need to have a shot
        at rapid implementation of a prototype that proves we
        can get into the paydirt zone, in terms of user evaluation.

        Just to show that people would really want it, it's OK
        if it is not ready for all the vicissitutes of real-world
        sorta-HTML pages.

Would you think about how hard it would be, in your style-driven
renderer, to "render" a SELECT widget into a stacked radio button
more or less like the ones found in

   Linkname: Finding accessible publications by KEYWORDs

?  That's my current example widget where I think that you could do
a pretty dumb purely syntax-directed transform and get a solid user
preference gain.

Al Gilman

PS: does SGMLS come with a writer?  I mean a parse-tree-to-SGML
writer?  We can do a little tree/tree mungeing in the middle
and have a filter, right?

;
;