Re: LYNX-DEV Re development vs. programming

From: David Combs
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Re development vs. programming
Date: Sat, 9 Nov 1996 11:29:58 -0800

> From address@hidden Thu Nov  7 07:08:56 1996
> Date: Thu, 7 Nov 1996 09:47:46 -0500 (EST)
> From: Wayne Buttles <address@hidden>
>
> On Thu, 7 Nov 1996, David Combs wrote:
>
> > > From: address@hidden (Drazen Kacar)
> > >
> > > [Lynx] Binaries for Solaris, ULTRIX and OSF will probably be
> > > available from srce.
> >
> > For SOLARIS, please do it in the form of a (Solaris) "PACKAGE", if possible.
> >

> Is the Solaris "PACKAGE" utility available for non-root users?
>
> WAyne

I called sun service (yes, I pay for it, as singleton user really
have no choice, as am  no guru at this stuff), and here is
finally their answer:

| David:
| The only suggestion I have found that might help you allow
| users to use pkgadd to add packages as user which might work is:
| setuid on pkgadd. This changes the real user to an effective user
| of the user using the command.
|
| All the commands which add packages, swmtool, admintool, and pkgadd
| require that you be user.
|
| admintool allows you to add users to group ID 14 which gives
| users admin privileges over all admintool funcions, like adding
| users, etc. which you may not want your users to have.
|
| That is all that I have for you after quite some research.

Too bad, Sun blew it -- should have had some way for
the individual t/s user to install via pkgadd to
his OWN directory tree.

All I can say is that this PACKAGE facility they
have is that it is REALLY NEAT -- that is, if you
are su.

Actually, since all these net providers that use
sun use not Solaris but SunOs 4.x (I think this is
true), perhaps there are not too many places where
someone does have Solaris but is unable to become su.

Maybe it is a mostly non-problem?

This is a bunch to ask, but maybe TWO versions for
solaris binaries could be put out -- one the way
it is now being considered, and another via PACKAGE
facility?  (Maybe keeping track of HOW MANY of each
are grabbed, for making future decisions on whether
it is worth while effort).

;
;