Re: LYNX-DEV Lynx and JavaScript -Reply

From: Hiram Lester, Jr.
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Lynx and JavaScript -Reply
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 1996 19:57:17 -0600 (CST)

On Thu, 14 Nov 1996, Andrew Kuchling wrote:

>       JavaScript is commonly used in frame-heavy sites, to make a
> single click update multiple frames.  More relevant to Lynx, it can
> also be used to fill in forms; on one site Magnet has done, choosing a
> person's name in a <SELECT> box will automatically place the
> corresponding values in the text fields for name, address, etc., which
> can then be edited further.  However, 99% of the time it's used for
> pointless graphical flourishes like slow fades and scrolling tickers.

It seems that the purpose of Java and JavaScript is similar to the purpose
of client-side image maps and cookies.  All of these allow certain things
to be done on the client end that were once exclusively the domain of the
server-end processing.  This has the advantages of reducing storage space
on the server end (in the case of cookies) and the potential to reduce
network load (provided they aren't used just as flashiness).  I saw an
example in a book on Java where JavaScript was being used in conjunction
with a form to make sure that certain fields were filled out properly
BEFORE allowing it to be submitted.  In the case of CGI, each improper
submission would require the form to be submitted and then an error
message returned.  On a similar tack, Netscape has a JavaScript on their
main page which allows you to select a product and click on a button to be
taken directly to that page.  This is similar to a number of CGI scripts
which do the same thing, but doesn't require the browser to send the
submission and fetch back the redirect request.

I do agree with Andrew though that there are other things more important
to Lynx development than JavaScript.  It would be nice if it happened, but
I don't know if you could implement just part of it or what would be
required...