Re: Re: LYNX-DEV FAQ and lynx manual

From: Al Gilman
Subject: Re: Re: LYNX-DEV FAQ and lynx manual
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 1996 12:07:25 -0500 (EST)

Joe, Scott, _et al._,

Thank you for volunteering to work on this stuff.  I would like
to help.   On the other hand, I am going to start by giving you
advice, or at least some thinkabouts.  The items below use the
pattern:
     GENERIC -- a concept from information systems management
     SPECIFIC -- related particulars affecting Lynx documentation

product/process:
     GENERIC
     sketch both what you hope to have at the end and how
     you plan to get there at about the same level of detail.
     SPECIFIC
     consider and plan how you are going to incorporate usability
     evaluation by real blind users into your process.

worldview:
     GENERIC
     the top level view should be a sketch of the universe and how
     your proposed scope plugs into it.
     SPECIFIC
     Whatever we do to rewrite the documentation should make sense
       in terms of how the user gets
          - reference information
          - tutorial services
          - diagnostic services
       You don't have to do all this, but you should have an idea
       of how what you do plays in each of these service scenarios.

vertical thread:
     GENERIC
     expand one node at each level [or of each class] into a
     full-blown prototype or mockup.
     SPECIFIC
     In your plan for the product, don't just list names for the
       top-level topics.  Define rules for theclasses of
       cross-links will be systematically supported.
     There will be different classes of resources used to compose
       the system which delivers the needed services.  There are
       static pages that get distributed and should be accessed
       locally.  But there are also categories like "recently
       discovered trouble" which are highly dynamic and should
       be handled by a centralized service.  The world model
       should lay out what gets covered in which class of resource,
       and how they are linked together to render services.

--
Al Gilman
;