Re: LYNX-DEV question about [INLINE]

From: Scott McGee (Personal)
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV question about [INLINE]
Date: Fri, 3 Jan 1997 23:38:20 -0700

When using a counter on a page, there are several ways to do it:

1. Use SSI (Server Side Includes) (or one of the "HTML Scripting languages,
which amounts to the same thing) which may not be possible or desirable for
a number of reasons, but CAN put in an appropriate ALT tag with the image.

2. Serve the whole page via CGI which has the same advantages and drawbacks
as SSI plus other potential drawbacks.

3. Use an IMG tag with a CGI SRC to return the image. Very common (this is in
fact what I use on our site), and works well, but can NOT return an ALT string
for the count.

4. Java or Javascript - Both are quite capable of prividing a text counter or
an ALT string with a graphical, but lynx still isn't going to see them, and
many other older browsers won't either. Not always availible on the server
either.

Of these, #3 is the most universal and practical, and the one most used. It is
also quite incapable of providing an ALT string. On my counters, I will use
ALT="[graphical counter]" or even ALT="A lot of", and even have put the whole
thing inside an anchor and included ALT="[Downloadable Graphical Counter]".

Scott

Scott McGee: Salt Lake Community College Webmaster | When in danger,