LYNX-DEV Time for Lynx 2.7?

From: Subir Grewal
Subject: LYNX-DEV Time for Lynx 2.7?
Date: Sat, 11 Jan 1997 09:10:38 -0800 (PST)

Hi people,

Just read Fote's note on the large memory allocation problem that has been
fixed.  As usual, there's concern over whether admininstrators will
upgrade to a "non-version"; our "pseudo-versions" are so much better at
getting them to upgrade.  I do think there have been substantial changes
made to Lynx to warrant a new version.  The multiple bookmarks capability,
URL fragment-resolution and interrruptable name-lookups for instance.  I'm
sure there are many other little things that will be of significance to
other users.  It's only been four months I know, but maybe four months is
long enough in Web terms.

Obviously, if we go ahead with this we have to see how the three different
developmental versions we have (Fote's, Hiram's and Rob's) have to be
brought together.  But I guess they can sort that out.  I do think it's
time for another version and we should begin planning tests, collation and
final bug-fixes.

BTW, perhaps it's time to think about 3.0 and whether such a large change
in the version number should signify the incorporation of the new Lib-WWW
(is anyone still working on that).  I particularly liked the inbuilt
name-lookup cache and there must be other things of interest.

address@hidden  +  Lynx 2.6  +  PGP  +  http://www.crl.com/~subir/
One way to stop a runaway horse is to bet on him.

;
;