Re: LYNX-DEV bug

From: Foteos Macrides
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV bug
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 1997 18:59:19 -0500 (EST)

Anya Sanko <address@hidden> wrote:
>Our university gives all of its students computer accounts on OpenVMS =
>VAX 6.2.  These accounts include the use of Lynx 2.5.  These accounts =
>were recently upgraded to this software in December.  Since then, we =
>have been unable to use lynx.
>
>when we type lynx and it attempts to open the start menu, it crashes.  A =
>series of numbers scrolls by and then the message "a fatal error has =
>occurred in lynx, please contact your system administrator with a =
>description of what you were doing when this occurred".
>
>well, we have contacted our administrator via email and phone and they =
>have yet to fix the problem.  They gave us this address and told us to =
>ask here for help and/or support.
>
>any help you have for us would be appreciated.

        Lynx 2.5 is an antique, now, and you should complain persistently
to the system manager and higher powers that be there, to upgrade to the
current version of Lynx.  Neither v2.5 nor the current version have
problems on OpenVMS/VAX v6.2, so the system manager must have done
something wrong with the build or installation (and should be encouraged
to do his/her job more conscientiously).

        If your do:

$ define/user sys$error tmp.txt
$ lynx

        And then post tmp.txt, perhaps we could venture a guess about
the problem, but you really need to keep pressing the system manager
to be more responsive to the users' needs.

                                Fote