Re: LYNX-DEV v2.6FM update

From: BLINUX Documentation Project
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV v2.6FM update
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 1997 05:17:08 +0000 (GMT)

aloha, larry!

On Wed, 22 Jan 1997, Larry W. Virden, x2487 wrote:
>I've been thinking - I suspect that those restricted to voice input will
>find lynx easier than most browsers as well.  Anyone know any groups
>working on this?  Anything we can do to help this group as well.

you might start your investigation at:

        http://www.speech.cs.cmu.edu/comp.speech/
and
        http://www.speech.cs.cmu.edu/comp.speech/availability.html

and we might try addressing the following emailing lists:

1. voice-users

   The voice-users emailing list was established in January of 1996 to
   foster discussion of all aspects of using voice recognition input
   systems. Sample topics include:

     * Using such systems safely, without muscle or voice strain;
     * Techniques for improving recognition accuracy;
     * How to set up the physical voice workstation optimally;
     * General tips for effective use of voice interfaces;
     * Configuration of specific systems, troubleshooting, etc.

   The list focus is on effective use of voice recognition. More
   technical discussion about voice recognition can be found in the
   newsgroup comp.speech.

   To subscribe, to voice-users, send an emesage with the word
   "subscribe" (without the quotes) in the subject line. to:

     address@hidden

   To contact the list-maintainer, Alan Jaffray, email:

     address@hidden

   If you need to contact Alan Jaffray non-electronically (i.e. limited
   ability to use a computer), his work number is (312) 702-7142.
   send an emessage to:

     address@hidden

   in the body of the emessage, type:

     subscribe ABLETECH-L firstname lastname

   To contact the listowner, Darren Hackney, email:

     address@hidden

   ABLETECH-L is available in digest format.

     address@hidden

   in the body of the emessage, type:

     subscribe easi "firstname lastname"

   To contact the listowner of easi, email:

     address@hidden
   to service the needs of users and developers of the Linux OS and
   software who are either disabled or want to help make Linux more
   accessible.

   There are many people with disabilities who use the Linux operating
   system, it is important to facilitate their needs as new products
   and/or distributions are developed. LINUX-ACCESS, therefore, was
   created specifically to enable developers and users of Linux to
   exchange ideas and develop strategies and solutions in areas relating
   to accessibility.

   The purpose of LINUX-ACCESS, therefore, is to enable individuals to
   assume an active role in the development of Linux and of software for
   Linux, as well as other Unix OSes, so that access is considered in the
   creation stage, and not as a retrofitted add-on. LINUX-ACCESS also
   aims to improve access in general for these operating systems.

   Even if you are not well versed in the technical aspects of software
   development, you are strongly encouraged to participate in discussions
   on LINUX-ACCESS, so that those who are developing software can benefit
   from your concerns, needs, desires, and suggestions for making their
   products and/or projects more accessible.

   Although LINUX-ACCESS will deal specifically with the Linux operating
   system and related software, many issues and software are platform
   independent so discussion will not be restricted to Linux alone but
   may include other Unix type OS's as well.

   Please note that the main focus of LINUX-ACCESS is the development and
   enhancement of access-related technology, not advocacy. Therefore,
   while input from all parties is not only welcomed, but encouraged,
   LINUX-ACCESS is not intended to be another "chat list", but, rather, a
   means of actively seeking and working out solutions to access related
   issues.

   To subscribe to LINUX-ACCESS, send an emessage to:

     address@hidden

   in the body of the emessage, type:

     subscribe linux-access address@hidden

   where "address@hidden" is your complete, valid email address
   (i.e. address@hidden).

   To contact the listowner of LINUX-ACCESS, email:

     address@hidden

   More information about LINUX-ACCESS can be found at the University of
   Utah's Center for Disabled Student Services web site, located at:

     http://ssv1.union.utah.edu/CDSS/other/mailing_lists.html

   An hypertext version of The Linux Access-HOWTO document can be
   found at:

     http://www.infomagic.com/linux/ldp/HOWTO/Access-HOWTO.html

   while a plain ASCII version of The Linux Access-HOWTO can be
   found at:

     ftp://leb.net/pub/blinux/Access-HOWTO

   LINUX-ACCESS is sponsored by the Center for Disabled Student
   Services at the University of Utah.
   Research & Development Center at the University of Wisconsin. To
   subscribe to uaccess-l, send an emessage to:

        address@hidden

   in the body of the emessage, type:

     subscribe uaccess-l firstname lastname

   To contact the listowner of uaccess-l, email:

      address@hidden

           Gregory J. Rosmaita, address@hidden or address@hidden
                        http://leb.net/blinux
                        ftp://leb.net/pub/blinux
                        ftp://leb.net/incoming/blinux
  electronic archivist and webmaster for The BLINUX Documentation Project