Re: LYNX-DEV Lynx question - maybe cache

From: Foteos Macrides
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Lynx question - maybe cache
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 1997 18:18:58 -0500 (EST)

address@hidden wrote:
>I am developing a database system and think that cache is causing some
>problems.
>
>Scenario: A record was previously added to the database. I bring up an
>html document that contains a form. The default value for each input tag
>is the value of a field in the particular record that I want to update.
>The name attribute for each input tag is different than the value
>attribute for that tag. I modify the input field, submit the form, and
>the cgi script (action) updates the database.
>
>If I exit Lynx at this point and reenter Lynx, The updated values appear
>when I either display an html document that lists the modified record's
>fields, or when I bring up the update form described above.
>
>However, if after submitting the form (paragraph 1, above), I bring up
>the update html / form, the old data appears. The script that displays
>the form begins by retrieving the record from the database, which does
>include the new values, but the old data appears in the form. This leads
>me to believe that the form looks to cache for the default values.
>
>I am looking down the wrong path for a solution? If not, can caching be
>turned off? Where on the Internet can I look for documentation on this
>and other Lynx issues?

        Read the sections on caching in the HTTP/1.0 and HTTP/1.1 RFCs,
both accessible at the stroke of a key via the current Lynx online
'h'elp.  Your script should be returning a Cache-Control MIME header,
or including the equivalent in a META directive, indicating to clients
how to deal with cache issues.

                                Fote