LYNX-DEV Lynx 2.6 Location

From: Les Foster
Subject: LYNX-DEV Lynx 2.6 Location
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 1997 18:25:45 -0500

Dear Sir or Madame:

After recently having had problems with a Location: and subsequently
perusing the "Found a Bug in Lynx?" page
(http://www.crl.com/~subir/lynx/bugs.html), I would like to report a bug (or
be given some advice on why the method I have been using works on other
browsers but not Lynx).

The bug is thus:  I have long-time-working CGI programs which are invoked
via an HTML page and pick up the parameters contained therein.  Once
invoked, these programs construct a full URL, suitable for a GET request,
including CGI parameters (as in
        Location: http://www.nosuch-site.com/htbin/cgiprog.cgi?fn=file&no=1
).

In other words, one CGI program bounces a location at the browser to inform
it to request another CGI program in sequence, and with inputs.

What appears to be happening with Lynx 2.6 (and NOT WITH Lynx 2-4-2) is that
a prompt first appears on screen with something like "Post data...proceed?"
(not verbatim!) to which I reply "y", and then the whole URL flies by on
screen, and then the Location-referred program starts up.  However, on
startup, it appears not to be getting its CGI parameters.  That is the bug.
The CGI parameters appear to be getting lopped off of the request.

If there is some way I must qualify my Location: request, or some limitation
I may be exceeding (the whole URL is only 30-40 characters long), please let
me know.

Sincerely.

Les Foster, Senior Software Engineer, Cambridge Scientific Abstracts

;
;