Re: LYNX-DEV The Atlantic

From: Tom Zerucha
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV The Atlantic
Date: Sat, 1 Feb 1997 10:10:26 -0500 (EST)

I usually am painfully polite and simply point out that bad HTML, or bad
content (e.g. page = "[ISMAP]") defeats the purpose of a web page.

For bad HTML, especially for the press, I use the analogy of very bad
grammar and/or spelling.  When the underlying coding is bad, "it don't
looks too good on the wrighter".  I point out that just as word processors
have spell checkers, and there are free services on the web that would
make anyone look like a HTML guru instead of a newbie.

(For the [ISMAP] page, beyond the accessibility arguments, I point out
that web crawlers like alta-vista can't see the underlying content, so no
one will see any article below the map, so even if it is the definative
work, no one will find it - which defeats the purpose of putting it on
the web).

It usually works but takes time and emailing the right person.  Their
tools or system may not handle this well.  But this doesn't work at all
with microsoft or msn.

Maybe I can write an awk tag-sorter :).  Tables are more abused than most
other formatting.  I think about 20% of my awk script is to handle
problems with table tags.

address@hidden
finger address@hidden for PGP key

;