Re: LYNX-DEV lynx pre 2.7 as of feb 6 core dump

From: Bela Lubkin
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV lynx pre 2.7 as of feb 6 core dump
Date: Sat, 8 Feb 1997 04:00:56 -0800

Larry W. Virden wrote:

> I was surfing at <URL:http://www.pjcc.com/>.  I selected the products
> link and then link 6 - Online Ordering and Catalog.  I ended up with
> a core dump.  Here's the screen and the core trace.
>

> This was compiled on SPARC 4/Solaris 2.4/Sun's cc with -g.

I got exactly the same thing with SCO OpenServer 5 and SCO's cc.  They
are sending a cookie which has "%" characters in it; Lynx eventually
uses that in the format string to a printf-family function, which then
dereferences garbage pointers from the stack.

Here's a patch which fixes it for me.

>Bela<

*** src/HTAlert.c.orig  Wed Jan 22 14:45:18 1997
--- src/HTAlert.c       Sat Feb  8 03:49:44 1997
***************
*** 313,315 ****
            server, namelen, name, valuelen, value);
!     _user_message(message, "");
      while (1) {
--- 313,315 ----
            server, namelen, name, valuelen, value);
!     _user_message("%s", message);
      while (1) {
;
;