SVR4 "ucb" libs, Re: LYNX-DEV rxvt, lynx, and lpansi

From: Bela Lubkin
Subject: SVR4 "ucb" libs, Re: LYNX-DEV rxvt, lynx, and lpansi
Date: Sat, 8 Feb 1997 19:49:46 -0800

T.E.Dickey wrote:

> > Larry Virden and Thomas Dickey both warn me against libucb on a solaris
> > system, BUT...
> >
> > Fote was trying to compile the mini-inews on my system and ran into errors
> > regarding libucb. the mini-inews _DOES_ use it, so what is the solution?
> if you _must_ use it, I believe it'll work to put it _last_, but there's
> no good way (that I've found) to see when you're picking up incompatible
> code.

"Put it last" is the quick and dirty solution.  The good solution is to
move forward to standard functions (memset instead of bzero, etc.)

To "put it last", you must arrange your link line as:

  cc ... -lc -lucb

This ensures that same-named functions found in the standard C library
are pulled in before the bad versions are pulled from libucb.

This information applies to most SVR4-derived systems, including but not
limited to Solaris 2.x and UnixWare.  FAQs for these two operating
systems, including this developer information, may be found at:

  UnixWare FAQ home page  http://www.freebird.org/faq/
  UnixWare Developer FAQ  http://www.freebird.org/faq/developer.html
  Solaris2 FAQ            http://www.fwi.uva.nl/pub/solaris/solaris2.html

>Bela<