Re: LYNX-DEV v2.7 pre-release update

From: Jim Spath (Webmaster Jim)
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV v2.7 pre-release update
Date: Sun, 9 Feb 1997 14:39:59 -0500 (EST)

On Sun, 9 Feb 1997, Foteos Macrides wrote:

> 02-09-97
> * Added posting ability to the news gateway, in lieu of the previous,
>   variably reliable, use of a spawned news client for posting.  The
>   news, nntp, and snews URLs now all return links for posting new
>   messages or followups (replies) to the server from which a newsgroup
>   listing or news article was retrieved, unless the server indicates
>   that it does not accept posts from the site at which Lynx is running.
>   See the updated INSTALLATION, userdefs.h, and lynx.cfg files, the
>   "USENET News posting" section of the Users Guide, and "Supported URLs"
>   page of the online 'h'elp for more information.

I was going to comment on how easy this makes it to post using a different
address than the true sender, but I won't...

There are two quick bugs I found.  I ran the latest build from NetBSD.

By htting ^C in my editor, I got screen garbage from the spawn (or spurned
parent):

Error spawning iditor,.check your editor definition in the options menu
Post this message? (y/n)
Interrupted

The second is more of a delay factor.  When I typed my address without the
domain (thinking the news server knows my domain, since it checks that
before allowing posts), I got:

Alert!: 441 From: address not in Internet syntax

And from an empty post:

Alert!: 441 Article is empty

These were quickly gone.  Should an alert stay for "ALERTSECS"?

------

;
;