Re: LYNX-DEV Re: continued problems with ssleay patches for zip

From: Nelson Henry Eric
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Re: continued problems with ssleay patches for zip
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 1997 09:57:57 +0900 (JST)

> >> No, I haven't been building the SSL version of Lynx because, as you
> >> surmised,
> >
> >OK, just to ask.  I'm a US citizen, but I live overseas.  Would someone
> >letting me download, for my personal use, hooks to implement SSL be in danger
[...]
>       1) My sending the patch overseas would be "exporting" it, even if
>          you are a US citizen.
>       2) If you received it in the US or Canada, took it with you (e.g.,
>          on a floppy) overseas, and made it available to non-US or
>          Canadian citizens (e.g., on a multi-user system), you'd be
>          breaking the US Export laws, since they apply to use, not just
>          distribution.

Thank you, and thanks to other people who offered clear and authoritative
answers to my question.  It is against the law, plain and simple, for me
to try to take `domestic strength' encryption software out of the US,
regardless of my citizenship.  If there are others in a similar situation
on this list, DON'T try it believing you personally won't be prosecuted,
because the person who made it available to you _could_ very likely be in
danger of prosecution.  Think about it.  You'd feel pretty bad if you were
able to read snews, but the `other guy' was facing a few hundred thousand
dollar fine and/or five years in prison.

__Henry

PS The US does not play around when it comes to munitions.  Remember
Toshiba Machinery anyone?  They (a wholly Japanese enterprise) made
the mistake of selling the former Soviet Union a computer-controlled
metal lathe.  Something like a five-year ban on export sales (yes, to
any country) and a $40-$50 million fine.