Re: LYNX-DEV AIX4, Compiler-Warning

From: Foteos Macrides
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV AIX4, Compiler-Warning
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 1997 10:34:29 -0500 (EST)

"T.E.Dickey" <address@hidden> wrote:
>> In making LYNX2-7 for AIX4 I get warnings:
>>
>> "../userdefs.h", line 100.22: 1506-342 (W) "/*" detected in comment.
>> "../userdefs.h", line 262.18: 1506-342 (W) "/*" detected in comment.
>
>(it's fixed in my autoconf patch ;-)

        Here's an actual explanation of that for people compiling the
v2.7 release.  When I expanded the "self-documentation" (i.e., comments)
in userdefs.h, for those concerning the XLOADIMAGE_COMMAND compilation
symbol I included a reference to the image/* MIME type with a wildcarded
subtype.  C comments begin with a "/*" and everything between that and
the next "*/" (comment end token) will be ignored, but of course the
compiler must parse the comment to find the "*/".  Compilers can be set
to issue a warning if another "/*" is encountered before the next "*/",
and that's the default behavior for AIX compilers.  The warning is useful
because this could reflect a failure to close an earlier comment.  But
that's not the case on lines 100 and 262 of userdefs.h, so you can ignore
those two warnings, or delete the "/*" from "image/*" to eliminate them.

                                Fote