Re: LYNX-DEV FONT color tagging

From: Rob Partington
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV FONT color tagging
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 1997 11:07:46 +0000 (GMT)

Alan Cox wrote:

> > > Im in the middle of adding some proper color support to Lynx stuff, I've
> > Excuse me???  Proper?  As opposed to style sheet based per-element colour?
>
> Because the planet earth real world divison use <FONT color=""> not style

I considered that and rejected it because it was far too much trouble to
implement correctly for little extra gain (no one uses <font color=""> in
a sensible manner - at least, not that i've seen so far.  if I want to
suffer bad design, then I'll use netscape).

How do you map the hex codes to ncurses/slang colours?  afaik you only have
8 colours to play with (you lose the bright ones if you use Klaus's unicode
patches iirc.  Klaus?), so the effort mapping the hex to real colours seems
to be a lot of effort for little actual gain.

> sheets regardless of any philosophical issues involved. The big problem
> I've come across is quite funny. Everyone assumes that the background colour
> is light and does stuff like
>
>       <BODY bgcolor="FFFFFF">
>
> which doesn't work so well with default white writing.

Precisely - what do you do in that situation?  If you're going to override
that, you might as well override the font colors given that they are probably
expecting the background to be light as well...
--
Rob Partington / address@hidden / address@hidden
;