LYNX-DEV Re: WWW 5 & GNU Make

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: LYNX-DEV Re: WWW 5 & GNU Make
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 1997 23:56:26 -0600 (CST)

On Thu, 27 Feb 1997, Glenn E. Thobe wrote:

[...]
> >              - Build the library using GNU Autoconf's configure script.
> >                    Note: You must use GNU make in order to do this
>
> I am happy with requiring GNU make.  GNU make is widely available, easy
> to build, and everybody should have it anyway.  I would also like for
> lynx to link with the latest official WWW library as it is out of the
> box.  If you just say "obtain and install libwww.a", then the issue of
> what make to use goes away.  There's no telling how many bugs will be
> fixed just by going to the newer WWW library.  Besides, I find it a bit
> unaesthetic to use one version of libwww.a for Lynx and another one for
> arena or amaya.

There seems to be some misconception here.

Lynx doesn't "use" the libwww in the way programs usually use external
libraries.  The heavily modified code in the WWW/... subtree of the Lynx
code is part of Lynx.  They have to be compiled together.  No other
program can use that libwww.a file, and Lynx cannot use any out-of-the-box
libwww.a file.  Thats just the way it is.  (And probably always will be,
unless someone rewrites Lynx from the ground up.)

Btw are Arena or Amaya as stable as Lynx?

  Klaus

;
;