Re: LYNX-DEV Lynx 2.71 with Jaws for Windows 95

From: Lloyd G. Rasmussen
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Lynx 2.71 with Jaws for Windows 95
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 97 09:23:24 EDT

On Thu, 31 Jul 1997 16:45:26 -0700,
Severino Profeta Reyes   <address@hidden> wrote:

>How do I set up Lynx and Jaws to work together?  Every time I try it, the
>computer freezes up.  Is there documentation that can help me with this?
>We are running Jaws 2.0 for Windows with a DecTalk Express and a Pentium
>133 machine.

I have not tried this myself; I use Lynx running on a Unix computer
through a modem from a DOS communications program, through a
token-ring network with NCSA telnet, a DOS telnet program, or the Lynx
386 version running under DOS through the token-ring.  All of those
are with Vocal-Eyes, although JAWS for DOS should also work with some
configuring.

One of your problems is that Lynx for Win 95/NT is really a console
(DOS-like) application running in the 95 environment.  You will not
get any speech output unless a DOS screen reader is loaded before Lynx
starts.  There are also some keyboard conflicts between DOS screen
readers and the Win95 version of Lynx.  You may want to consider some
alternatives for your students, such as PW Webspeak, Internet Explorer
(there's a pretty good set of JFW macros for it), or Lynx with a DOS
communications program or telnet program.

Hope this helps.  Feel free to call me on the phone or E-mail further.

-- Lloyd Rasmussen
Senior Staff Engineer, Engineering Section
National Library Service for the  Blind and Physically Handicapped
Library of Congress          202-707-0535
(work)       address@hidden    www.loc.gov/nls/
(home) address@hidden

;
;