Re: LYNX-DEV problems with current auto-config

From: T.E.Dickey
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV problems with current auto-config
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 1997 05:46:52 -0400 (EDT)

> Some problems with the auto-config mechanism of the devel code in its
> current form:
>
> I found this in lynx_cfg.h after running configure without any
> --disable-dired-* flags:
>    #define ARCHIVE_ONLY 1
> This shouldn't be set by default (and I believe it is unintentional).
ok - will check (that doesn't look right).

> The --enable-debug flag is useless (it just leads to a lot of compiler
> warnings) and I think it should go away.  (I am aware it is marked as
> "develop:"). It defines DEBUG, which is also defined thus in HTUtils.h:
> #ifndef DEBUG
> #define DEBUG   /* Noone ever turns this off as trace is too important */
> #endif          /* Keep option for really small memory applications tho */
>
> (I don't think having a configure flag to disable Lynx trace messages
> would be a good idea.)
I hadn't noticed that - will check, revise.

> More generally, many of the compiler -D flags which were in Makefile
> (now called Makefile.old) have disappeared from makefile[.in], since they
> are now meant to be set by the configure script.  The (or, one) problem is
I think that I got all of the -D flags moved (let me know if I missed one)

> that the documentation of those flags is also disappearing... I don't
> think the less-than-one-line explanation given by ./configure --help
> is a good replacement (especially for some of the dired things).
I added/expanded the same text to the README.configure that I removed from
Makefile, since it documents the configure options.
(Perhaps you would prefer that it be moved to makefile.in)

I'd rather keep most of the configure --help listing one-per-line, since it's
hard enough to read as it is.

> I think even if auto-configuration works perfectly and takes account of
> all the settings for which it makes sense, it should still be possible
> to modify the generated makefile (especially the top one) and tweak it.
That's still possible - that is why I left the assignments in the top-level
makefile.

--
Thomas E. Dickey
address@hidden