Re: LYNX-DEV lynx for a blind user

From: Lloyd G. Rasmussen
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV lynx for a blind user
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 97 10:26:01 EDT

On Thu, 14 Aug 1997 13:09:09 -0700,
Brian Leibowitz   <address@hidden> wrote:

>I run an ISP and we have two blind users that I have been
>helping.  One big problem we have is using browsers with the
>voice simulators - some links and features are not compatible.
>Lynx should solve this [I had used lynx on a UNIX system about
>4 or 5 years ago.]
>
>Both of the blind users run windows 3.x.  I tested the W32 version
>on my system and it worked great.  Do you know of any simple
>step-by-step instructions that my blind users could use to set it
>up on their W3.x systems?  They do not live near me, so I would
>prefer not to have to go visit them to help them set this up.

Are you offering them internet service by PPP or by a shell account?
Which screen reading programs are they using?  (JAWS for Windows,
Automatic Screen Access for Windows, Window-Eyes, Artic WinVision,
Slimware Window Bridge, Screen Power for Windows, etc.)

If you are offering shell accounts, you could run Lynx and they could
use DOS and a communications program such as Qmodem, Telix, Procomm or
Terminate.  Telnet and terminal programs work with Windows screen
readers, but not very well.

I assume you are offering PPP connections.  They will either have to
run Lynx/386 under DOS (or Bobcat).  These are fun to use, but they
both have limitations in many situations compared to full-fledged Unix
Lynx.  They could upgrade to Win 95 and run the 32-bit version of
Lynx (their screen readers must operate in a DOS mode for this).
Some people have reported keyboard conflicts with their screen readers
and the 32-bit Lynx version.  However, Judy Dixon is happily running
it with Screen Power for Win-95, speech and a braille display, and
playing RealAudio files from Lynx, something I thought would never
happen.

Under Win 3.1 with PPP, they should probably run Internet Explorer or
Netscape.  Screen reader configurations have been written for these
programs.  They don't work as well as Lynx does, especially on
multi-column pages and client-side image maps, but they do work.
Another option, which might be good for them, is PW Webspeak, from the
Productivity Works, www.prodworks.com.  This is a talking Windows 3.1
program (you must unload your screen reader while running it), and it
is a little more Lynx-like than the commercial GUI programs.

I probably generated more questions than I answered, so feel free to
write back, either here or on my Sprynet address.

-- Lloyd Rasmussen
Senior Staff Engineer, Engineering Section
National Library Service for the  Blind and Physically Handicapped
Library of Congress          202-707-0535
(work)       address@hidden    www.loc.gov/nls/
(home) address@hidden

;
;