Re: LYNX-DEV ac#54: FreeBSD bulding is broken again, please fix

From: Андрей Чернов
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV ac#54: FreeBSD bulding is broken again, please fix
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 1997 22:47:47 +0400 (MSD)

On Thu, 21 Aug 1997, T.E.Dickey wrote:

> > FreeBSD 3.0 -current.  There is no such thing like ncurses 1.8.6 for
> > FreeBSD 2.2.3 and 3.0 -current, there is merged 1.8.6+4.1 ncurses now. Raw
> > ncurses 4.1 is not imported yet, ask address@hidden if you interested
> > why, he deals with clean import. I prefer to make merged ncurses version
> > right now and commit it than wait for clean import forever.
> I don't know either - ncurses 4.1 works properly on FreeBSD without any
> 'import' or 'merge'.  But I'll ask.

'import' is replacing BSD curses by ncurses at the system level including
BSD native building system, Makefiles, etc.

'merge' is fixing some old ncurses bugs using new ncurses code.

> > Why you think that AC_TRY_LINK must fails? It NOT fails as expected, since
> > initscr() IS in ncurses() and it is dynamically linked thing. You should
> > call something like tigetstr() additionly to initscr() to make it really
> > fails without -lmytinfo.
> No. If ncurses needs mytinfo to link, it should fail when linking initscr
> (unless someone's done something interesting to the dependencies).  But the
> config.log would show that.

Please re-read, what I say. It is static vs. dynamic linking issue for
FreeBSD.

a.c:
#include <ncurses.h>
main(){ initscr(); }

cc a.c -lncurses

linked OK, it is because dynamic linking is default case for FreeBSD and
only upper level functions are resolved with dynamic linking, not whole
functions tree.

To get result you want you need to use

cc a.c -static -lncurses

This variant FAILS at link stage since it is old static linking.

--
Andrey A. Chernov
<address@hidden>

;