LYNX-DEV Re: Unable to connect sometimes.

From: Al Gilman
Subject: LYNX-DEV Re: Unable to connect sometimes.
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 1997 11:20:01 -0400 (EDT)

> In <http://www.flora.org/lynx-dev/html/month0897/msg00498.html>
>
>      * To: address@hidden
>      * Subject: LYNX-DEV Unable to connect sometimes.
>      * From: address@hidden

> Sometimes when I try to log on to lynx, I get a message saying the system
> is unable to connect to lynx.  What circumstances would account for this
> message?  I got it during the weekend, early and late.

I am guessing that your copy of Lynx is set to start by loading
http://lynx.browser.org/ and that it is having trouble reaching
this site when you try to start Lynx.  If that is the problem,
you should change your setup so Lynx starts somewhere else.

This is one of the bumps you have to get over in learning how to
use the Web.  For a recent conversation about how to change the
startup page used when you start Lynx, you can browse the
discussion at the lynx-dev archives, for example starting at

 LYNX-DEV Re: changing startup document
 http://www.flora.org/lynx-dev/html/month0897/msg00389.html

Any given site can have availability problems at any given time
over today's 'Net.  To make your Lynx startup not depend on the
availability of one particular remote site, set it up to start
with a local file.

This is a general Web issue.  Walt Mossberg devoted a recent WSJ
column to coaching people to take control of their browser's
starting page.

--
Al Gilman
http://www.access.digex.net/%7Easgilman/lynx/FAQ/