Re: LYNX-DEV 2.8 bug in handling > ?

From: Michael Warner
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV 2.8 bug in handling > ?
Date: Tue, 3 Mar 1998 23:03:04 -0800

On or about Tue, Mar 03, 1998, T.E.Dickey <address@hidden> wrote:

> > http://www.aparima.com/F1/Grand_Prix/index.html
> >
> > This page has a side navigation bar that uses '>' for indenting a tree.
> > The source correctly shows '&gt;' but Lynx-2.8pre2 also shows this
> > instead of '>'. This doesn't happen with Fote's latest 2.7.2.
> This is another case of (ahem) different error handling.  The page contains
> a <LI> which isn't contained within a <UL> or whatever.  I'll save it
> as a test-case.

It may be more complicated than that, though.  Removing just the <LI>
and </LI> tags doesn't fix the rendering of the &gt; 's.  Removing the
whole line, <LI> to </LI> inclusive, fixes it.  Removing one or both of
the (unclosed) <FONT ...> tags that precede the <LI>...</LI> doesn't fix
it.  Removing the </FONT> tag that follows the <LI>...</LI> fixes it.

So, what's it all mean?  I dunno.  Two wrongs (unclosed <FONT>'s) make
a right?  It's not the List Item, but what's inside it, that counts?

Somebody that actually knows stuff will have to figure that out, and
what lynx ought to do about it.

I should mention that I'm still, lazily, using the 2.7.1ac-0.105
version, in case it matters.

--
Michael Warner
<address@hidden>