Re: LYNX-DEV help: finally!

From: Philip Webb
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV help: finally!
Date: Sun, 8 Mar 1998 15:32:41 -0500 (EST)

980308 Jonathan Sergent wrote:
> Fiddling with things to the point one could run configure multiple times
> without needing ``make distclean'' would be the right way to fix this
> now we're committed to autoconf.

for 2-8 , i'm satisfied with the way TD has simply fixed  INSTALLATION
to alert users to the need to remove  config.cache  if there are problems.

> You tell Lynx where you want it to install the binary & configuration file
> with  configure  since it makes the install rule: Lynx needs to look
> for the config file the same place its makefile installs it.
> This option should not be in  userdefs.h  at all for Unix:
> right now it's in a section that says "you must change this"
> and then there is a comment next to it that says "don't change it"
> and INSTALLATION says "do change it" (or did say that).
> I personally don't touch  userdefs.h  at all: essentially everything there
> that is not a security option is configurable at runtime with  lynx.cfg

so maybe (for 2-8-1 ?)  userdefs.h  should become solely security
&  configure  should set the path to  lynx.cfg  thro' its switch,
&  configure  needs to be sorted out so that it NEVER caches switch values.
 INSTALLATION  also needs to be cleaned up to make it really straightforward
for simple-minded users: it should explain the process,
then take them thro' each step in the correct order.

and -- to harp on it yet again -- ALL documentation must distinguish
between the sysadmin who installs Lynx for a gang of users on his/her system
& an individual user who installs Lynx for his/her own personal use:
Lynx was clearly designed originally around the former
& has never really got to grips with the fact that times have changed.