Re: LYNX-DEV 387 emulator

From: Ian
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV 387 emulator
Date: Sun, 15 Mar 1998 22:03:33 +0000 (GMT)

> > Im new to Lynx ports although Ive used Bobcat a bit.
> > Ive been trying to set up Lynx_386 but the 387 emulator
> > supplied on www.fdisk.com ..emu387.exe crashes my 386
> > every time (EMM386 stops the machine if its there. If
> > its not the machine hangs anyway) Anyone had similar
> > problems and overcome them?

Hi Doug
Thanks for a very complete answer to my questions

> I assume you mean emu387.dxe. This is not an executable that you run.

Ah, there you have it. I renamed emu387.dxe to emu387.exe and tried
to run it. Not surprising it didnt work. Id never seen a .dxe file
before.

To have this work with lynx you need to set the environment variables
> 387=N
> emu387=full_path_to_emu387/emu387.dxe

I experimented and found that if I put emu387 in the lynx directory
and run lynx from there, I can do without the fancy en-vars.

> Lynx will automatically use emu387.dxe when necessary. The emu387.dxe
> emulator has some problems, and does not completely emulate a 387 chip.
> You might want to try the binary I built with emulation built in. This
> uses the wmemu library ported from linux, and is said to do better
> emulation. You may need to set 387=N in the environment but don't need a
> separate emulator. You can get it from:
>
> "http://www.rahul.net/dkaufman/lynx2.8pre.2-DOS.zip"; or
> "ftp://ftp.rahul.net/pub/dkaufman/lynx2.8pre.2-DOS.zip";

Yes, I got it today and I have it running.

> I haven't gotten any feedback since I built in the wmemu emulation. Let
> me know how this compares to emu387.dxe, if you can get the latter to
> work also.

Well to my unschooled eye it seems to run exactly the same as Waynes
version. Its a newer version, frightingly big for a DOS program.
I have it on a 386sx with 4M of ram. It might be my imagination
but although its fast generally, its local disk accesses are
a bit slow. With all that stuff there Im loath to use Smartdrive.
It feels sound enough so far. One annoying thing is the "looking
up www.blah.blah.com" message. It persists long after its obvious
that the connection is not going to be made and there doesnt appear
to be any key combination that will abort it. However this seems to
be the same with Waynes version as well.
--
Bye for now,
            Ian.