LYNX-DEV Java/JavaScript

From: Matt Ackeret
Subject: LYNX-DEV Java/JavaScript
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 1998 16:20:52 -0800 (PST)

On Thu, 19 Mar 1998, David Combs wrote:
>QUESTIONS re java-only (and) javascript pages:
>1: Staying within text-only mode, is there any way
>   for lynx to at least SAY what the problem is,
>   ie that this is java-only page, or that it has
>   java-script on it.

This would be a very good first step.  Though you tend to *see* things that
look like C++ object calls (sorry, that's my frame of reference, I realize
they are a generic concept).

soAndSo.DoThis()

I'm referring to JavaScript in this instance.

>4: Is there any way a java-app CAN be "text only", or provide
>   the text-only alternative that one can have in HTML?
>   (For us to ask sites to use).

Well, others have said that yes, you could do this.

As long as a Java program doesn't call the graphics routines, or even if
it does, one could hopefully "interpret" them into a text mode interface.

I say this admitting I know virtually 0 about Java, and I was surprised when
I first heard Java didn't require a GUI.

It looks like someone's got to look into/finding a Java front end that
is terminal-based.  If it even provides a *subset* of Java that would at least
do some minimal things (like work with banking sites or something -- heh)
that would be good.  Of course you wouldn't be able to play the videogames
and such.

This leads into a question I've been meaning to ask the last few days.

I'm not in any way pretending I'm going to write anything useful ever, but
I've been more curious about JavaScript after realizing that
one of my stock accounts is using JavaScript, not Java..  So if
JavaScript were implemented I could probably use that with Lynx.

So, like, my question -- Where is JavaScript defined?