Re: LYNX-DEV UNIXish and DOSish software

From: T.E.Dickey
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV UNIXish and DOSish software
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 1998 05:42:09 -0500 (EST)

> then there will be problems.  On the other hand, no other solutions
> are really perfect: with ncurses, for example, the user has to install
> a terminfo database which currently is used only by Lynx and the
> ncurses test programs :(
but you can compile with a fallback description & not install the terminfo
database at all (it's been in the distribution since 4.1 came out last
spring).

> Probably the best thing would be to follow the model of ncurses +
> optional terminfo + fallback to hardcoded terminal description (PC
> ANSI.SYS).  But you'll really only hear complaints from XFree86 users,
> so I wouldn't go too far out of your way changing things.  There are
> probably more slrn users than XFree86 users on OS/2, anyway, so having
> a flag day of any kind would be much more trouble than it's worth.
a fallback for the console window would be the best way to go, anyway - for
lynx.  the other users wouldn't notice a 1k overhead.  in any case, that's
hidden from lynx.

--
Thomas E. Dickey
address@hidden