Re: LYNX-DEV caching & \ (was 2.7.2 report)

From: Jacob Poon
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV caching & \ (was 2.7.2 report)
Date: Sun, 29 Mar 1998 22:38:56 -0500

On Sun, 29 Mar 1998, Philip Webb wrote:

> 980328 Jan Hlavek, Jonathan Sergent & David Combs commented:
> > 980328 Philip Webb wrote:
> > > when source is obtained using  \  (not otherwise)
> > > it should be held among those pages along with the rendered version.
> > it seems that lynx does cache source obtained using \ .
> > the problem is that lynx keeps only one version of document
> > for each address, either source or the rendered version.
> > I bet the cache is indexed by addresses (obviously).
>
> so what needs to be done is to add something to the index
> -- just when  \  is used -- to mark the fact
> that what is stored is source a/a rendered, so caching both versions.
>
> would anyone care to look into how easy it would be to make this change?
> i'ld be willing at least to take a look if someone could tell me where.

I can think of a quick way to do this without multi-pass rendering
support.

1. Load the HTML _source_ and put it in the cache.

2. Render the page using cached source.

3. Put the rendered text in cache.

4. Presto!  You got two versions of the same URL for one download.

If re-rendering URL is needed, just erase the rendered version in cache,
and repeat steps 1-3.  And of course, since raw version of URL is always
available if is in cache, it opens up many other possibilities for lynx
wrt cache post-processing, including multi-pass/recursive rendering.
Since Fote isn't around, there's nothing to stop this from being
implemented. :)