Re: LYNX-DEV CHANGES 2.8.1dev.5

From: Larry W. Virden, x2487
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV CHANGES 2.8.1dev.5
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 1998 05:51:30 -0500

Re: making global changes

If someone is going to take on the chore of renaming variables, check first
to see if your vendor was kind enough to make cscope available.  The cscope
program (comes on my Solaris machine as a part of Sun's unbundled C
compiler) was written at ATT as a part of one of their development environment
tools for System V.  It is a curses interface for a programmer to browser
source code.  Think of it as a visual ctags.  You run cscope on your source,
then tell it that you want to see all occurances of a variable.  Only
whole word matches show up.  You then select each line and are dropped
into your favorite editor to make the changes you want to make.  You can
also do a global change of all the variables.  Then, you can do a search
on the variable , treated as a string, to make sure there are no comments
in any of the source.  Unfortunately, references to the variable in man
pages, etc. still have to be performed by hand, but hopefully those will
be minimal.