Re: lynx-dev Can you help me please (fwd)

From: Foteos Macrides
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Can you help me please (fwd)
Date: Sun, 10 May 1998 08:31:27 -0400

"T.E.Dickey" <address@hidden> wrote:
>>   extern int bzero();
>>   .................^
>>   %CC-W-TOOFEWACTUALS, Too few actual parameters in macro call.
>>   at line number 292 in file
>>   DKA200:[LYNX.LYNX2-8.WWW.LIBRARY.IMPLEMENTATION]TCP.H;1
>
>it appears that somewhere there's a definition such as
>        #define bzero(p,n) memset(p,0,n)
>which is conflicting.  The fix is to remove this 'extern int bzero();',
>which I'd noticed before -- it's not used in the code anyway, and is an
>artifact of a previous implmentation.  (I'll do that in my development
>version).

         This is an FAQ which has been explained numerous times on the list.
It was explained in the PROBLEMS file through v2.7.2, with emphasis
in the INTALLATION file that VMSers read it, and there are extensive
comments in the for-VMS-with-MultiNet sections of tcp.h to guide people
in acting on what is explained in the PROBLEMS file.  Al, at my request,
has included a prominent entry for this in his VFAQ.  I also, on more than
one occassion, have tried to explain it to you, and encouraged you to
read the PROBLEMS file, but invariably got your stock replay that you
do not have access to a VMS system (though you did, at the time) nor the
"time" to deal with such things, and obviously didn't read or comprehend
what is in the PROBLEMS file.  The problematic "artifact" here lies in
basic reading comprehension and written communication skills, and
personality structure.  If you "do that" in Your Development Version,
you will be doing what the PROBLEMS file instructs to do when encountering
that compiler message, but making matters worse for people with other
combinations of VMS compilers and MultiNet versions, i.e., it will be
another loose cannon shot.

                                        Fote
--
Foteos Macrides