Re: lynx-dev about lynx.cfg

From: Benjamin C. W. Sittler
Subject: Re: lynx-dev about lynx.cfg
Date: Thu, 28 May 1998 11:28:58 -0600 (MDT)

On Thu, 28 May 1998, Michael Sokolov wrote:

> Benjamin C. W. Sittler <address@hidden> wrote:
> > Not all "strings" were created equal. Try "objdump" from the GNU binutils
> > instead, or find/port a real "strings" to your architecture.
>
> Is this directed to me or to David? If the former, I DON'T DO GNU ("NU" stands
> for "Not UNIX" and I am a faithful worshiper of Ritchie, Thompson, Kernighan,
> and CSRG) and my strings(1) is as "real" as it can be, since my platform is
> True UNIX(R) (albeit binary-only and interdigitated by DEC).

I suppose it could apply to both of you, but I really intended it for
David, as his experience seems symptomatic of a broken "strings"
implementation. I have seen many UNIX systems with a broken "strings"
program. They often also have a working "strings" program in a different
directory, but not always.

(Suggesting GNU software is not part of a holy war for me, it's just an
attempt to help people get software which serves their needs. In some
cases the GNU software addresses the needs of programmers better than the
software provided by the systems vendor, that's all.)