Re: lynx-dev Lynx with GNU gettext NLS support

From: Webmaster Jim
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Lynx with GNU gettext NLS support
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 1998 06:10:11 -0400

On Fri, Aug 28, 1998 at 05:38:04AM -0400, address@hidden wrote:
> > I've created a version of Lynx with GNU gettext hooks. Thanks to David
> > Trueman, and Chris Maxwell, of CSuite Networking Coop Ltd, and Karl
> > Eichwalder (for hello), I've managed a least a working prototype.
> > The main improvement over the CSuite version is that this one uses a
> > configure script. The first cut is available via ftp:
> >
> > ftp://www.slcc.edu/pub/lynx/current/lynx2-8-1-dev21-intl.tar.bz2
> > ftp://www.slcc.edu/pub/lynx/current/lynx2-8-1-dev21-intl.tar.gz
> I took a quick look (just that, since you mentioned this for informational
> purposes only), but have one question: why are you bundling gettext with
> Lynx?  (afaik, we could configure against a separately-installed gettext
> package).
>
> > To enable gettext, do "configure --with-included-gettext"

I went with the directory structure that the reference hello program
uses.  I wasn't sure whether to have folks "go get gettext" or simply add
the intl directory along with "po."  The gettext package also includes
the tools required to maintain the translations, which definitely don't
belong in the Lynx distribution.

I've done a line count, and the intl directory adds 3310 lines of code.

Marvin the Paranoid Android.