lynx-dev Re: [2.8.1dev.22] patch0.3: UIPs, help files, --enable-gzip-hel

From: Sinan Kaan Yerli
Subject: lynx-dev Re: [2.8.1dev.22] patch0.3: UIPs, help files, --enable-gzip-help
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 1998 15:57:54 +0100

(28/08/1998 00:12) Leonid Pauzner:

>>      * From: Sinan Kaan Yerli <address@hidden>
>>
>> I want to give a clear picture of what I have been doing:

>> * Download and Print UIPs are divided into 'Standard' and
>>   'Local additions'.                         ^^^^^^^
>      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^  I think this is not a good idea to say about 'standard'.
>                       OK, let I use Zmodem and use lynx from the remote PC,
>                       why should I think about 'local additions'?

Well, that was the only suggesstion given. Since we are a community I
thought eveybody was aggreed with that. OK then shall we call more
technical terms like:

* Standard options
* User supplied options

>> * All links in the help files are marked, i.e. each
>>   'href="../_filename.html_#section"' is converted to
>>   'href="../@address@hidden"'. This is useful if a help filename or
>>   link has to be changed through out whole package.
>> * 'lynx_help/help_files.txt' is introduced which contains
>>   FILENAME=_filename.html_
>>   definitions. Format and details are given in the file.
>> * All help files are renamed from '.html' -> '.html_'
>
>Could you explain why do you need this three above?
>Seems LYHelp.h may cover all the needs.
>If someone want to translate help files why not to create a new help tree?
>You can set 'helpfileXX' instead 'helpfile' variable for another tree.

LYHelp.h is needed only for Lynx code, i.e. help defines used in UIPs.
The following is from LYHelp.hin:
#define OPTIONS_HELP            "keystrokes/@OPTION_HELP@"
which will be converted to
#define OPTIONS_HELP            "keystrokes/option_help.html.gz"
when it is compled (i.e when src/makefile run). src/makefile will check
whether --enable-gzip-help setted COMPRESS_PROG and COMPRESS_EXT
and will create LYHelp.h

The other side of the story is the help files. Within help files, other
help files are referred. So if --enable-gzip-help is set then you have
to change all these in all help files (i.e putting COMPRESS_EXT for
every <FILENAME>.html). Thats why _all_ help files are marked. This is
not related to LYHelp.h. Since this happens in installation phase, it is
done in makefile.

So, when we change the links to invalid ones then we had to change the
filenames to something else: '.html_' (I will change this to '.in').

Did I understand your question or am I talking something else?

Sinan.