Re: lynx-dev Re: [2.8.1dev.22] patch0.3: UIPs, help files, --enable-g

From: Leonid Pauzner
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Re: [2.8.1dev.22] patch0.3: UIPs, help files, --enable-gzip-hel
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 1998 22:26:40 +0400 (MSD)

> >> * All links in the help files are marked, i.e. each
> >>   'href="../_filename.html_#section"' is converted to
> >>   'href="../@address@hidden"'. This is useful if a help filename or
and we could not read/edit those help files locally because
they will not be a standard HTML but lynx plug-in only.

> >>   link has to be changed through out whole package.
> >> * 'lynx_help/help_files.txt' is introduced which contains
> >>   FILENAME=_filename.html_
> >>   definitions. Format and details are given in the file.
> >> * All help files are renamed from '.html' -> '.html_'
> >
> >Could you explain why do you need this three above?
> >Seems LYHelp.h may cover all the needs.
> >If someone want to translate help files why not to create a new help tree?
> >You can set 'helpfileXX' instead 'helpfile' variable for another tree.
>
> LYHelp.h is needed only for Lynx code, i.e. help defines used in UIPs.
> The following is from LYHelp.hin:
> #define OPTIONS_HELP            "keystrokes/@OPTION_HELP@"
> which will be converted to
> #define OPTIONS_HELP            "keystrokes/option_help.html.gz"
> when it is compled (i.e when src/makefile run). src/makefile will check
> whether --enable-gzip-help setted COMPRESS_PROG and COMPRESS_EXT

Helpfiles under the keystrokes/ directory typically about 5Kb,
and option_help.html about 16Kb. The only relatively large file
Lynx_User_guide.html which is about 120Kb.
So you may gain about 100Kb of disk space _only_.
Compare it against ~1Mb of lynx binary, 90Kb of lynx.cfg,
200Kb of CHANGES2.8, etc...

>From the other hand, it is relatively easy to cut 100Kb off lynx binary
by rearranging chartrans tables in 0x20 - 0x7e region.