Re: lynx-dev lynx2.8.1dev.26

From: Al Gilman
Subject: Re: lynx-dev lynx2.8.1dev.26
Date: Sun, 13 Sep 1998 11:34:51 -0400 (EDT)

to follow up on what address@hidden said:
> * remove install-log makefile target, generate cfg_defs.h file directly from
>   lynx_cfg.h and config.cache, to compile-in the configuration-definitions
>   rather than rely on external file lynx_site.txt - TD

At times we have talked about capturing compile-time decisions in
some way that they can be recovered for diagnosing problems with
a compiled image (as when binaries are distributed).  Would this
cfg_defs.h file serve as documentation of all the configure
switches used?

What I am thinking about is something like:

the job that creates a distributable binary does the following
three things:

1) a record of all compile-time decisions suitable for diagnostic
use is packaged up for distribution.  This is distributed
separately from the binary, not in the same .zip IMHO.

2) This package is signed (e.g. MD5 of cfg_defs.h) for error
control.

3) An URI for retrieving this package is defined and compiled
into the image from where it can be retrieved in a standard way.
For example, this could combine a BASE URL from the job input
stream and the hash key defined in 2) above.

Al

PS:  Nothing in these questions is intended to gate a release.
I am trying to understand where we stand on the objective
of having a recoverable record of all the things the end user
can't tell us about how their lynx was compiled.