Re: lynx-dev different versions of lynx.. different outputs.

From: brian j. pardy
Subject: Re: lynx-dev different versions of lynx.. different outputs.
Date: Wed, 4 Nov 1998 08:19:09 -0800 (PST)

On Wed, 4 Nov 1998, Greg Marr wrote:

> >> the problem is yet another piece of HTML pedantry (grimace):
> >> i raised this very issue a couple of months ago:
> >> see the Archive for 9809 (probably).
[BJP:]
> >Please, let's not consider another "well, everyone else is doing it, so
> >we can/should break spec".
> >
> ><TABLE> has an ALIGN attribute, which is the proper way (as I read the
> >spec) to center it.
> >
> ><CENTER> is only a text element.
> >
> >(This has probably all been said before...)
>
> If it has, it was said incorrectly.  <CENTER> is not a text element.  <CENTER>
> is a synonym for <DIV ALIGN=CENTER>, which is a block level element.
> <CENTER><TABLE>...</TABLE></CENTER>, <DIV
> ALIGN=CENTER><TABLE>...</TABLE></DIV>
> and <TABLE ALIGN=CENTER> should all produce the same output.  However, many
> versions of the major browsers don't see it this way, especially the ones
> before <CENTER> was defined as <DIV ALIGN=CENTER>, and was just whatever NS
> wanted it to be.

Okay, remind me to stop trying to parse HTML specs. I just looked back
at the spec and it says exactly what you said. I think I misread "CENTER -
text alignment" as "text element".

--
GPG & PGP public keys: <URL:http://www.psnw.com/~posterkid/keys/>
PGP fingerprint: 42 57 B3 D2 39 8E 74 C3  5E 4D AC 43 25 D2 26 D4