Re: another pitch for internationalization [was Re: lynx-dev idea regard

From: dickey
Subject: Re: another pitch for internationalization [was Re: lynx-dev idea regarding 'Submit' links]
Date: Sat, 7 Nov 1998 08:59:01 -0500 (EST)

> > As soon as someone tells me what I can do with my user-visible patches to
> > help internationalization, I'll start doing it.
> >
> > (And on a side-note, perhaps full internationalization might be considered
> > to be a large enough change to merit bumping up to (at least) 2.9...)
>
> At least 2.8.3 :).  Anyway, until Jim's patches get applied, there's not

I thought we were headed for 2.8.2 (aside from the global nature of
the change, it's not that intrusive).  Adding message libraries and
fixing buffer overflows will take more development time.

> much that can be done but use the include mechanism, so my comment wasn't
> aimed at anyone in particular; just anxious to get things moving.  Once
> the strings are wrapped in gettext() calls, the function has to be defined
> somewhere.  Maybe there can be a LYgettext that uses the real gettext if
> nls support is opted for, and does nothing except echo the English hard-

just a macro will do the trick.  we don't need a function (which would
also make the excutable larger).

> code if not.  I'll send Tom some aspirin if he needs it, but that's about
> all I can do other than bark (and tell you all that this nls is _NEAT_).
>
> __Henry

anyway, I'm about halfway through the diffs.  I expect to have a clean patch
tomorrow.

--
Thomas E. Dickey
address@hidden