Re: lynx-dev A question about downloading in lynx....

From: dickey
Subject: Re: lynx-dev A question about downloading in lynx....
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 1998 17:22:37 -0500 (EST)

> But once you get to the DOWNLOADER menu, you have already transferred the
> complete big file to your local host, as far as I understand. Lynx stores
> them in some place (/var/tmp in my case) and "Save to disk" (and other
> DOWNLOADERs) actually act on that temporary file. Note that "Save to disk"
> *copies* the file, which doubles the required diskquotas if the temporary
> file also eats on them. It may be possible to circumvent this by defining an
> entry that rather *moves* the file to its final location (depending on how
> the system's "move" works).
moves, or simply passes the downloaded tmp-file via a pipe as LP suggests.

> Anyway, I wonder if many mailers allow you to send a stream of incoming data
> rather than a complete existing local file (any expert opinion ?). In
> addition

mutt and elm do, as well as the various mail/mailx/etc.  I guess pine does.
any others (unix of course)?

> your binary data will have to be encoded for standard mail transport (8bit
> cleaness is not guaranteed). Guess the mailer will again help itself with an
> even larger temporary file ...
>
> As to an actual DOWNLOADER entry to mail the file, it heavily depends on your
> system, especially your mailer's capability and flags to encode and attach
> files.
you can uuencode to standard output. wouldn't take much of a script
to pick up a file, prepend some descriptive text and pipe the whole
to the mailer w/o any temporary files.

>  - Serge
>
> PS: "Jeu de car." abbreviated for "Jeu de caractères" - "Character set".
> (Yes, I know French better than C).

I had 3 years of French in high school, but that was before Unix was designed.
So I'll leave translation to people who speak the language.

--
Thomas E. Dickey
address@hidden