Re: lynx-dev Lynx and SSL-encrypting

From: David Woolley
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Lynx and SSL-encrypting
Date: Sat, 12 Dec 1998 11:31:53 +0000 (GMT)

> Is there support for SSL-encrypting in the newest release of Lynx, or
> are there plans to include such support in a near future? -- My bank
> connection now requires a web-browser with support for SSL...

Even token support (stubbed out code), it is believed, would make Lynx
non-exportable from the USA.

Working support would make Lynx in breach of copyright and/or patents,
at least within the USA.

The lynx.browser.org web site should point you to solutions that are
available if you are able to compile your own version, and are not
using it for commercial purposes.  For commercial use in the USA, you
will need to purchase a licence form RSA Data Security Inc.; it would
probably be cheaper to use Netscape or IE.

This is a legislation problem (software patents and encryption viewed as
an armament) not a technical one.