Re: lynx-dev [-dev.12] Alternate line_edit cleanup patch (again)

From: Philip Webb
Subject: Re: lynx-dev [-dev.12] Alternate line_edit cleanup patch (again)
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 1998 22:22:20 -0500 (EST)

981230 Kim DeVaughn wrote:
> the attached fixes some discrepancies between the code & help files,
> for the alternate line edit keybindings, first included around -dev.3 .
> delete-to-beginning-of-line has been added (for the alt bindings only),
> and a help page has been added that describes the alternate bindings.

your expanded line editor looks like an improvement for everyone:
why do you offer it only as an "alternative"?

> +  Administrators can offer additional alternate key-bindings ...
     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> + If available, they may be selected via the 'o'ptions menu ...
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^                                         ^^^^
> +<p>One such alternate key binding, which may be available on your system,
                                            ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> +is the <A HREF="alt_edit_help.html">Alternate Bindings</A> keymap.
> +This allows you to set alternate key bindings for the built-in line editor,
> +if your system administrator has installed
> +<A HREF="alt_edit_help.html">Alternate Bindings</A>.
> +Otherwise, Lynx uses the <A HREF="edit_help.html">Default Binding</A>.
   ^^^^^^^^^
UGH (smile)!  i realise you are merely amending earlier text,
which is badly out of synch with today's Lynx,
but many -- if not most -- users nowadays compile their own version
in their own machine or in their own directories in a shared system (eg me).

if you're going to correct the documentation, please write something like:
`You can set alternative key-bindings when you compile Lynx [etc];
if you are using a shared version on a multi-user system,
you may need to ask your system administrator to add it for you [etc]'.

also, shouldn't you refer to the Options Form, which is the standard version,
tho' the old Options Menu is still around for those who prefer it?