Re: lynx-dev Java Support

From: mattack
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Java Support
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 1998 21:32:29 -0800 (PST)

On Fri, 1 Jan 1999, Larry W. Virden wrote:
>You know, I can't recall a serious discussion of what features of Javascript
>would really need to be supported.
>
>For instance, the popular http://come.to/ etc. sites I believe depend on
>JavaScript to do redirections.  That's one use that I could see useful
>in Lynx - support for redirecting lynx to a new page.

Interesting.. I went to SureTrade to get some more specific examples, and
here's a bit of interesting code...
function IsNS3Browser() {

        browserName = navigator.appName;
        browserVer = parseInt(navigator.appVersion);

        if (browserName == "Netscape" && browserVer >= 3)
                return 1 ;
        else
                return 0 ;
}

So they specifically check for Netscape..

Otherwise, they seem to call:
javascript:jumpPageWithAccount(1,0)

a lot.. and looking at the source, which is pretty C-ish, it looks like all
it does is change which frame you're currently looking at based upon a bunch
of criteria.. but there's only 3 frames on the 'parent' window..

Anyhow, this kind of moving around documents is what I think is needed,
along with shopping cart kinds of uses (www.800.com).