Re: lynx-dev question about embedded javascript

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: lynx-dev question about embedded javascript
Date: Sat, 2 Jan 1999 12:00:28 -0600 (CST)

On Sat, 2 Jan 1999 address@hidden wrote:

> > > Date: Sat, 2 Jan 1999 10:08:14 -0500 (EST)
> > >
> > > Since Lynx doesn't interpret embedded JavaScript, shouldn't it render it
> > > like <pre> ... </pre> ?
> > >
> > Isn't embedded JavaScript wrapped with comment delimiters, "<!--" and
> > "-->"?
>
> no - the examples I know of are delimited with <server> and <script>
>
> (looks rather ugly when Lynx shows it on the screen, since JavaScript
> is line-oriented, and all of that is lost in rendering).

<script> is HTML, lynx parses it right and ignores the content.
<server> isn't HTML, lynx doesn't know anything about this tag so
it ignores it, and shows the content (according to whatever mode
is in effect).

I assume the content of <server> is meant to be interpreted by a server,
so a file with that tag in it isn't meant to be viewed by a HTML browser
without preprocessing.  So no wonder you don't like how lynx shows it. :)

I guess other browsers would have the same "problem".

Do you want to add recognition of <server> to lynx, to be able to view
the code verbatim?  It might make sence for some people, but isn't really
text/html.

   Klaus